Thursday, August 2, 2012

SO IT'S ABOUT HER HAIR...REALLY?


   So I'm basking in the joy of Gabby's accomplishments, feeling at this moment that she is my own.
I am so happy and proud of her. Sixteen with two gold medals. The first African American female to win the all-around. There are no words to describe how great an accomplishment this is for any person. Then I see a friend's message on Facebook blasting some unknown entity for belittling her success by focusing on something so trivial as her hair.
     I was clueless so I went to investigate. 'Lo and behold, people were talking about her edges and her "kitchen"-the hair at the nape of the neck. I was in the throes of a series of "WTF" moments. Each article and negative statement had me seeing red. The people that were commenting negatively, for the most part, were African American women. They were concerned about her hair! Give me an effing break and get your priorities straight.
     Instead of putting her down because of her hair you should be raising her up because of her dedication. Instead of putting her down because of her hair you should be raising her up because of her determination. Instead of putting her down because of her hair you should be raising her up because of her talent. Why must African American women continually down each other?
     When I saw her compete I had a huge smile on my face. I saw a beautiful young lady who was going after her dream. She had the courage to fight for what she wanted. Sacrificing family time, time with friends and a sense of normalcy to achieve a dream, Win or lose she was poised in competition as millions watched her, yet all some petty folk could see was her hair.
     What they missed was a golden opportunity to let others know that they could accomplish anything by remaining focused and surrounding yourself with a great support system. What they missed was the opportunity to let our young women know to carry themselves dignity and respect because they are future queens. What they missed  was the opportunity to let the queen in them shine through by dropping praise on an awesome young woman.
     So I ask those so concerned with her edges and kitchen---how many gold medals have you won today? Are your edges and kitchens perfect? What dreams are you working on to make them become a reality? And since you have time for trivialities concerning hairstyles I know your lives are in order. If not, then STFU! Support those who have the courage to dream and pursue their dream. Stop the negativity because it's unnecessary and unattractive.
     All I have to say is: Gabby do your thing! I'm so proud of you Baby Girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment